I have something to share with you.
Friends were coming to town and I needed to plan a menu that was gluten-free. Yes, I could get a bunch of boxed items and go to a specialty food market and get pre-cooked packaged food but I thought for a BBQ, it would be great to have a summer soup and lots of grilled meats, fish and veggies. This gazpacho was absolutely perfect!
- 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 4 whole diced tomatoes
- 1/2 whole red onion or sweet onion, Diced
- 1 whole seedless Cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 whole Zucchini, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper (from about 1/4 whole)
- 1 cup Tomato Juice
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 avocado, sour cream and cilantro for garnish
- Salt and Pepper To Taste
How to Make it:
- As you dice your veggies(tomato, cucumber, pepper, zucchini), keep a small handful of each aside for garnish.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the minced garlic with the onion, cucumber, tomato, zucchini, tomato juice, red wine vinegar and a dash of salt and pepper.
- Pulse until all ingredients are blended well; Add the 1/4 cup of olive oil while the processor/blender is mixing. Soup should be slightly chunky or speckled, not smooth.
- Pour into a large bowl and add the rest of the tomato juice, and half of the remaining onion, cucumber, tomato, zucchini, and celery. (Reserve the rest of the diced vegetables for garnish.)
- Stir mixture together and check seasonings, adding salt if needed. Chill soup for at least a couple of hours; soup needs to be very cold!
- Remove the soup from the fridge and stir. Check seasonings one last time. Ladle into a bowl and garnish with remaining diced vegetables, a sliver of fresh avocado, sour cream, and cilantro.